How to make the best red velvet cupcakes, from Lily Vanilli’s A Zombie Ate My Cupcake!
Makes 12 cakes
You will need:
¼ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup superfine (caster) sugar
1 extra-large egg, at room temperature
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons red food coloring
Pinch of salt
¼ cup cocoa
1 ½ cups all purpose (plain) flour, sifted twice
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper cases.
2. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until very light (about 5 minutes). Beat in the egg until well incorporated. In a small separate bowl, beat the vanilla extract, coloring, salt, and cocoa into a thick paste. Beat into the butter mixture.
3. With the mixer running on a slow speed, add the flour to the mixture in three parts, alternating with the buttermilk and beginning and ending with the flour.
4. Stir the vinegar into the baking soda, add to the batter, and fold in using a spatula. Leave to stand for 3 minutes.
5. Using an ice-cream scoop, spoon the batter into the paper cases, filling them three-quarters full. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Cool in the pan for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
From Lily Vanilli’s A Zombie Ate My Cupcake!
Buy the book for more creepy recipes