These bite-sized cakes are the perfect size for a kid's dessert, and are perfect for any chocolate-loving friends and family members.
Kids can help: Mix ingredients and add the sprinkles.
- 3 Tbsp butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp red food coloring
- 2 ¼ cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp cocoa
1. Cream butter and sugar. Add applesauce and egg and mix well. Blend in vanilla, buttermilk, lemon juice, lemon zest and food coloring. Mix well.
2. Combine dry ingredients and add slowly to mixture, stirring well. Pour batter into pans that have been sprayed with olive oil spray or similar non-stick baking spray. Spread batter to a depth of only ½ or ¾ inch thick. Bake in 350 degree oven for approximately 15 minutes.
3. Let cool and then cut into small squares. Set on a plate while preparing topping.
- Dark chocolate baking chips
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Candy, cookies, coconut, toffee bits, crushed graham crackers or any toppings of your choice
1. Organize selected toppings and put in individual small bowls. (We used chocolate sprinkles, crumbled Reese’s peanut butter cups and hot chocolate powder.)
2. Melt chocolate in microwave. Using a small spreader or knife, spread chocolate on sides of a cake square, then sprinkle with topping. Set square on plate, spread chocolate on top and sprinkle with topping. Repeat for each cake bite. Let set for about an hour until chocolate if firm before serving.