This dish can be made in about 20 minutes and serves four people. The mashed peas are also good as a dip with toasted pita bread or crackers — a great way to sneak in veggies.
* 1 cup rice
* 2 Tbs butter
* 1/2 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 10-oz package frozen peas
* Pinch salt
* 1/4 cup chicken broth or prepared bouillon
* 30 basil leaves (about 1 cup loosely packed)
* 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Prepare rice according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring frequently, until quite soft but not brown, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes more. Add the peas and a pinch of salt, stir thoroughly with the garlic and onion mixture, then add the chicken broth. Cover pan and bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes (not more, or the peas will be overdone).
3. Remove from heat and transfer contents to the bowl of a food processor. Add the basil leaves. Process for about 15 seconds, until the peas are beginning to be mashed and the basil is chopped but there are still many whole pieces of pea in the mixture. Combine thoroughly with the cooked rice and parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.