Prep time: 10 Minutes
Baking time: About 10 Minutes
Yield: 18 Cookies
* 1/2 cup red or green hard candies, such as Life Savers
* 1/2 batch [XREF “1115924” “Basic Cookie Dough”]
* Flour for dusting
* Rolling pin
* Sugar for sprinkling on cookies
These sparkling gems will also make beautiful ornaments. Poke a hole near the top before baking.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Process candies in food processor fitted with metal blade until finely ground, or crush with a mortar and pestle. Scrape into a bowl.
2. Remove dough from refrigerator (or freezer); knead it 4 or 5 times on work surface to soften. Roll to 1/2-inch thickness with lightly floured rolling pin. Cut out cookies with a 3-inch cookie cutter, then cut out a small opening in center of each. Place cookies on baking sheet 1 inch apart.
3. Use a small spoon to fill each cutout with candy; smooth level with dough. Sprinkle cookies with sugar. Repeat with remaining dough.
4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until bottoms start to brown. Let cool 5 minutes on baking sheet before moving with a spatula to a wire rack to cool completely, about 15 more minutes. Store in an airtight container with waxed paper between the layers.
How Kids Can Help
* Roll out dough and cut out cookies.
* Pour in candy.
* Sprinkle sugar on cookies.