Forget mashed potatoes and spice things up this year with this quick and easy puree
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Serves: 8 to 10
4 to 5 lb sweet potatoes
1 stick unsalted butter
2 Tbsp dark-brown sugar
2 Tbsp molasses
1½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp orange zest
2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Prick the potatoes several times with a fork. Bake until soft when pierced in the center, about 1 hour.
3. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Cook until it starts to turn light brown. Remove from heat, and stir in the brown sugar and molasses. Set aside.
4. Cut the cooked potatoes in half. Use a large spoon to scoop out the flesh, and place in a medium bowl. Whisk the potatoes vigorously to remove any large lumps (don’t whisk for too long or the puree will become gummy). Season with salt, pepper, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Stir in the butter mixture.
5. Add orange zest and orange juice. Stir to blend. Check the taste, adding molasses or salt as needed.
Multitasking mom Alex Guarnaschelli is host of the Food Network’s The Cooking Loft and executive chef of the New York restaurant Butter.