Prep time: About 27 Minutes Cook time: 8 Minutes Serves: 4 Servings Nonstick cooking spray
Four 5-inch corn or wheat tortillas
1 scallion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper
4 large eggs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 Tbs grated cheddar or monterey jack cheese
4 Tbs mild, medium, or hot salsa
Pitted black olives
Salsa or hot sauce
Fit tortillas into the muffin molds; place toppings in small bowls.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray 4 muffin cups and fill empty cups with water. Place 1 tortilla in each muffin cup and fit it into the mold, creating a hollow.
3. Coat a medium skillet with cooking spray. Add the chopped scallion and bell pepper and cook over medium heat for about 4 minutes, or until softened.
4. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs with salt and pepper to taste; cook, stirring the entire time. Sprinkle in the cheese and cook about 3 more minutes, until the eggs are set
but still a bit moist. (They will firm up in the oven.)
5. Spoon the eggs into each tortilla and top each with 1 tablespoon of salsa. Bake 6 to 8 minutes, or until the eggs are hot and firm and the tortilla is warm.
6. Remove from the oven and let cool. Carefully lift the tortilla “cupcake” out of the mold.
7. Place each of the toppings in small bowls and let everyone choose the ones they want. PER SERVING (1 cupcake): 165 calories, 11 g fat (4.9 g saturated), 190 mg sodium, 228 mg cholesterol. Provides calcium, vitamin C, and selenium.