Prep time: About 15 Minutes
Cook time: Marinating time: 1 to 24 Hours; Cooking time: 50 Minutes
Serves: 4 Servings
One 3 1/2-lb chicken, precut into 8 pieces (2 breasts, 2 thighs, 2 wings, and 2 drumsticks)
1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup milk mixed with 1 Tbs lemon juice
Nonstick cooking spray
About 2 cups bread crumbs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup chopped parsley or chives
Coat pan with spray; mix bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and parsley.
1. Place the chicken in a large bowl and pour the buttermilk over it. Let it marinate for at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and coat the bottom of a baking tray, large shallow roasting pan, or ovenproof skillet with cooking spray.
3. On a large plate, combine the bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and parsley. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk, letting some of the milk cling to the skin. Dredge each piece in the bread-crumb mixture, patting on the crumbs so they stick all over. Discard the buttermilk.
4. Place the chicken on the baking tray, roasting pan, or skillet and bake for about 45 minutes, or until the juices run clear when the chicken is pierced with a knife.
5. Place under the broiler for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the coating turns golden brown.
Per serving ( 1/4 of recipe): 567 calories, 23 g fat (6.1 g saturated), 938 mg sodium, 128 mg cholesterol.