Kids can help by sprinkling the cheese, measuring the basil and crimping the edges of the crust
Prep: 20 minutes
Bake: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1/2 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 (28-oz) jar tomato sauce
- 1 tsp dried basil
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups shredded low-fat mozzarella
- 1 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crust
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large skillet, sauté sausage and ground turkey in olive oil until well browned. Break sausage into small pieces.
2. Pour sauce over meat, and stir in basil. Simmer 5 minutes.
3. Coat a deep 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray. Pour half the meat mixture into the pan. Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese. Add remaining meat mixture and top with the rest of the cheese.
4. Place crust on top of the filling, and crimp edges. Cut a few slashes in the middle and bake for 30 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
How kids can help: Sprinkle the cheese; measure the basil; crimp edges of crust.
Per serving: 492 calories, 30 g fat (11 g saturated), 1,354 mg sodium, 64 mg cholesterol