This easy vegetable lasagna recipe is packed with veggies, cheese and lots of love. It can be customized to work for both kid and adult eaters
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 45 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
- 2 eggplants
- 6 zucchinis
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 4 cups (1 lb.) shredded mozzarella
- 1 lb. lasagna
- 1 15 oz. container of ricotta
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup grated parmesan plus enough for sprinkling on top
- Ground nutmeg
- 1 large tomato
- ¼ cup olives, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Quarter the eggplant and halve the zucchinis lengthwise, then slice into 1-inch slices. Toss well with olive oil, sea salt and black pepper. Spread evenly across a baking pan and roast in oven for 40 minutes, tossing a few times throughout. Remove from oven and set aside. (If you're puréeing a portion of the vegetables to sneak into the kids' sauce, do that and add it in now.) Turn the oven down to 375 degrees.
- Boil a large pot of water, and cook the lasagna until it's just tender. Drain and pour into a bowl of ice water.
- Stir the ricotta, eggs, parmesan, salt and pepper to taste, and a dash of nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce over the bottom of a greased 13x9x2 inch lasagna pan. Layer the pasta on top of that, overlapping a bit. Spread one third of the ricotta mixture on top of the pasta, and cover that with a layer of the roasted vegetables. Leave a section without vegetables if you're omitting them for the kids, or use the puréed vegetable-tomato sauce mixture in place of the plain tomato sauce in a designated section of the pan.
- Continue to layer in this way until you have four layers of pasta and three layers of filling. Spread any remaining sauce or ricotta mixture on top, and distribute fresh tomato slices and olives on top of that, omitting on the kids' portion, if so desired.
- Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and a small amount of parmesan.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake for another 15. Remove from oven, let stand for 10 minutes and serve.