Your child will make a splash in this no-sew costume
Scouring pads, a soda bottle and other household products give you a deep-sea diver's duds.
- 3 yards black nylon webbing
- 1 yard self-adhesive Velcro
- 6 metallic scouring pads
- 2-liter plastic soda bottle
- 1 sports-bottle lid
- Silver spray paint
- 4 inches black rubber tubing
- 18 inches cord-keeper tube
- Black hooded sweatshirt
- Black tights or leggings
- Black gloves
- Plastic safety goggles
1. Cut a piece of nylon webbing 2 inches longer than your child's waist circumference. Attach Velcro pieces to each end for a belt.
2. Measure your child from front of waist, over shoulders, to back of waist. Cut two straps of webbing to this measurement. Glue one end of each piece of webbing to the center of the back of the belt, about 1/4 inch apart. Attach loose ends to front of belt, about 3 inches apart, like suspender straps.
3. Fold scouring pads into tubes and glue edges together. Glue tubes around belt to create diving weights.
4. Coat soda bottle and sports-bottle lid with spray paint and let dry, about one hour.
5. Glue a piece of webbing around bottom of soda bottle to resemble an air tank. Attach bottle to belt and straps with pieces of Velcro.
6. Wrap rubber tubing around the mouth of the soda bottle and glue ends inside cord-keeper tube.
Push other end of cord keeper into loop of painted sports-bottle top for a ventilator; tuck cord-keeper tube under webbing strap to hold in place.
Find more Halloween costume ideas.