Holiday Eating Survival Strategies

by Beth Howard

Holiday Eating Survival Strategies

Visions of sprinkle-laden sugar cookies dancing in your head? You can give yourself the gift of holiday treats without wrecking your postpartum weight-loss plans, says Melinda Johnson, R.D., a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association. Here's how to stay on track this season:

Follow the 80-20 rule 

Aim to make about 80 percent of the food you eat during the day healthy, and keep the remaining 20 percent for indulgences.

Take a pass

If you're not passionate about something. Don't waste the extra calories on Aunt Ellen's eggnog if you never really loved it anyway.

Ditch the diet

Don't even think about dropping pounds right now. Focus instead on just eating wisely—whole grains, fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy, lean meats, fish, nuts, and beans—to give you shop-till-you-drop energy, stabilize mood swings, and curb a sweet tooth.

Don't leave home hungry 

If you can, eat a light healthy meal before you hit the party circuit so you'll be in control of your cravings. No time for one? Try to fill up on the party's veggie plate before diving into the brownies.