Nugget Couch Alternatives: Let Your Kids Bounce, Lounge, and Build With These Foam Play Couches
by Lauren Wellbank
Image Credits: Sam's Club
The best modular kids’ sofas from Amazon, Walmart, Pottery Barn Kids, and more.
Most parents and caregivers are familiar with the age-old battle of trying to keep small kids busy and active indoors while preventing the house from getting destroyed. That’s why items like the Nugget couch have become so popular over the years. While little bodies need to move in order to keep occupied, it’s really easy for them to get hurt if they use everyday items as their own personal gymnasiums. A play couch makes that indoor activity safe, and possibly even more fun.
Unfortunately, Nugget play couches have become really popular, especially during the pandemic, which means sometimes they can be hard for families to get their hands on. The good news is, there are plenty of Nugget couch alternatives that offer the perfect opportunity for children to get out their wiggles without destroying your furniture (or breaking the bank).
Best Play Couches
- Best 8-Piece Play Couch Set: Costzon 4-in-1 Unique Shapes Convertible Climb and Crawl
- Best Kids’ Couch for Additional Seating: Children’s Factory The Whatsit Kids Couch or 2 Chairs
- Best Foldout Nugget Alternative Couch: Jaxx Zipline Kids Modular Loveseat & Ottomans
- Best Splurge Play Couch: Isabelle and Max Marrero Zipline Playscape Modular Sofa
- Best Color Options for a Play Couch: Pottery Barn Kids Foamnasium Blocksy Kids Couch
- Best Play Couch for Smaller Spaces: Pottery Barn Kids Foamnasium Blocksy Mini Kids Couch
- Best Nugget Alternative for a Mix of Ages: Shenanigan Kids Figgy
- Best Play Couch for Hiding Stains: Sam's Club Member's Mark Kids' Explorer Sofa
- Best Play Couch for Lounging: Huddle Customizable Kids Couch
What Is Nugget?
The Nugget is a microsuede play couch that comes in four foam pieces that are the perfect shape and size for young kids to move around by themselves. They can be set up into several configurations to make forts, obstacle courses, and lounge areas. When the children are done using them, they stack back up into an attractive toddler-size couch which looks great when it’s not in use.
What to Look for in a Play Couch
Nugget-style play couches see a lot of action—and we mean a lot, because they’re perfect for jumping on, rolling off of, and, yeah, sitting on. For that reason, they need to be both soft and durable. And because little kids can make big messes, they also need to be easy to clean. A good play sofa will either have machine washable covers that can be removed and tossed in the washer, or be made from a durable fabric that’s easy to spot clean. Additionally, they should have a firm filling (think firm foam that’s soft enough for kids to play on but not so soft that it will quickly lose its shape) and have enough pieces that your child can move them into several playful configurations.
Each product we feature has been independently selected and reviewed by our editorial team. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn commission.