You are here

2-Year-Old Girl Dies after Getting Tangled in a Blinds Cord

The Short of It

Sadly, another child has died after getting tangled up in a blinds cord.

The Lowdown

A 2-year-old girl was found unconscious in her Florida home with her head tangled in vertical blinds.

Authorities were called to the house and found the little girl unresponsive. When the rescue crews were unable to resuscitate her, they rushed her to the hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

More from News Break: Why New Moms Shouldn't Use Facebook for Validation

Anne Hager, a neighbor who lives a few houses down from the girl's family, told the Sun Sentinel that she heard a hovering helicopter and saw the emergency vehicles. By the time she got to the girl's home, the rescue crew was already doing chest compressions.

"I heard [the mother] yelling that she was hung by the cord," she said. "She was in shock."

According to Hager, the family had recently moved into the neighborhood, and both the little girl and her brother liked to come over to pet her dog.

"This makes you want to hug your kids a lot tighter," Hager said. "I feel so bad; it's just so sad. Even if you're not a parent, it's got to rip your heart out."

More from News Break: Teen with Muscular Dystrophy Realizes Dream of Walking to Receive Diploma

The Upshot

Hager is right, especially because this tragedy could have been prevented with childproofing. It's an important reminder that when we have young kids, it's important to be vigilant 24/7 when it comes to checking our homes for potential dangers.

According to the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, a child dies nearly once a month due to blind cord strangulation, and hundreds of children have been tangled in blind cords over the past 30 years. Which is why in recent months, Select Blinds has changed its entire inventory to cordless, and so have Ikea and Target. Lowe's, Home Depot and Walmart have all pledged to get the corded blinds off their shelves by 2018.

More from News Break: Grieving Parents Find Daughter's Letter to Her Future Self after Her Death

"This is the tragedy that befalls far too many toddlers," USCPS spokesperson Scott Wolfson told the Sun Sentinel. "We need to get safer products into the marketplace and begin looking backward and make sure parents are buying those products or understand the deadly risk that the old models pose."

For more information on window blind cord safety, please click here.

And, don't forget to like us on Facebook and Twitter!

comments