The Short of It
A boy and his family were kicked off a flight because he had an allergic reaction to dogs. But the cruel reaction of passengers on board the plane is what is most disturbing.
Giovanni; his mom, Christina Fabian; and dad, George Alvarado, were waiting for their flight home from Bellingham, Wash., to Phoenix, Ariz., to takeoff when the 7-year-old began to suffer an allergic reaction.
"He began to get very itchy, and he was scratching all over. He started to get hives, so we informed the flight attendant who informed us that there's dogs on every flight and just smirked, which minimized his experience for me," Christina explained to KTHV News.
The boy's reaction ended up delaying the flight's departure, and the family was asked to deboard.
More from News Break: Pregnant Mom Diagnosed with Cancer 3 Days after Adopting 3 Kids
"We understood. They helped us off the plane, but as we gathered our stuff, the people toward the back of the plane clapped," recounts Christina. Yes, seriously.
Giovanni's feelings were crushed by the cruel applause. "People who don't have sadness, they don't understand," he said. "My dad is sick with Stage 4 throat cancer."
This trip was planned to create a special memory with George, whose time with his family may be limited.
Am I the only person shaking my head in disbelief right now?
More from News Break: Rare Skin Condition Is Turning 10-Year-Old Boy into 'Stone'
"As a dad, I was just hopeless right there. I just looked at the people clapping. I was just shaking my head; I was like, man, let's get out of here," George said. But he says he hopes people who hear their story will learn something: "You don't know how much time people have or why they are hurting. Just be nice. Be kind."
For their part, the airline behind this cruel incident, Allegiant, has reached out to the family and has offered an apology.
More from News Break: Family Reenacts Oscar Nominated Films in Adorable Photo Collection
As sorry as I feel for this family for their very unfortunate experience, I'm glad it's making national headlines. What happened to them is a great reminder that you never know what someone else is going through, and it's never a mistake to be kind.
What is your reaction to this story?