The Short of It
Gas prices have reached a four-year low of $2.72 per gallon. We haven't seen such prices since November 2010!
Do you want to know why you're doing a happy dance when you pull up to the pump in your big ol' family car? Crude-oil production is up, the demand for gasoline is down, and the dollar is strong.
No matter the reason, you may be wondering if now is the time to plan that road trip you and your kiddos have been dreaming about. The answer is yes! Because who knows how long these family-friendly fuel costs will last.
Here are five other things you may want to do with your family while gas prices play nice:
- Buy that family-sized SUV or minivan you've had your eye on forever—now it won't cost an arm and a leg to fill up!
- Purchase a second vehicle for your growing family.
- Go visit family for the holidays. You can afford to buy gifts and drive a bit further for everyone to be together.
- Plan some day trips to family friendly attractions.
- Go camping. After you drive to your destination, pitch a tent, and voila! A budget-friendly family getaway is under way.
By the way, if you live in San Francisco, you're paying more than the rest of us at $3.04 per gallon. Congratulations New Mexico residents, you're saving the most money filling your tank at just $2.34 per gallon.