You are here

Toddler Dies from Drinking E-Cigarette Vape

The Short of It

Police in Fort Plain, N.Y., say that a one-year-old child died this week after ingesting vape, the liquid nicotine used in electronic cigarettes. This is the first confirmed accidental death related to vape. It's the second death overall; in 2012 a man committed suicide by injecting himself with the substance.

The Lowdown

The glass bottle containing the liquid didn't have a childproof cap on it. Emergency workers were called at 4: 06 p.m. when the little boy was found unresponsive and unconscious. They took him to the hospital, but he was pronounced dead at 5:53 p.m.

Accidental poisonings aren't as unusual as you might be thinking. When my little brother was about the same age, my sister was pretending he was her baby and she stuck a perfume bottle in his mouth as a "bottle." The cap came loose, and he swallowed some perfume. Luckily, my mom noticed right away and took him to the hospital and had his stomach pumped.

Liquid nicotine used in e-cigarettes is legal in New York but considered highly toxic. Up until now, containers that hold vape were not required to be child-proof. However, New York lawmakers have been pushing for tighter regulations on the packaging of liquid nicotine. In June, New York lawmakers passed a bill that will require all liquid nicotine (vape) to have child resistant packaging. Gov. Cuomo is expected to sign the bill into law in the next few weeks.

The Upshot

When it comes to poisons, an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure. Keep potential poisons out of sight and out of reach, preferably in a locked cabinet. Never store substances in anything but their original containers. Always reengage child-resistant caps and lids in the "locked" position right after using items, such as prescription and over-the-counter medicines. Don't refer to medicines as candy, and safely dispose of all unused drugs and those you no longer need.

More from News Break

"Weird Pregnancy Craving: Mom Eats Toilet Paper," and don't forget to like us on Facebook and Twitter!