You are here

Toddler's Cries Save Family from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

The Short of It

Canadian parents Kyle and Monique Ruppel credit their 15-month-old daughter Celia with saving their lives, all because she cried out in the night.

The Lowdown

A family from British Columbia is appealing to parents everywhere to make sure they have working carbon monoxide detectors in their homes. The Ruppels' house wasn't equipped with any, and they almost died as a result. Amazingly, it was their toddler who saved their lives.

Monique shared the family's story on Facebook:

"This precious little angel did something extraordinary. Something she will not fully understand until she is grown. She literally saved our lives. Celia typically wakes once per night. We always get up with her and help her back to sleep. On Friday at 3 am she stirred for the second time. I attempted to make my way to her room but only made it a few feet before being completely overwhelmed with vertigo. Kyle immediately woke and we quickly realized something was wrong. We both suffered from dizziness, headache, nausea, and burning eyes. We packed a bag and woke Celia. She began vomiting and as I held her my cat collapsed at my feet. Luckily Kyle's parents arrived to help right before he collapsed. He came to right away and 911 was called. We were all taken to the hospital."

Upon arriving, the Ruppels were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning. The grateful mom shared, "They took every precaution and air lifted us to Vancouver for treatment. We underwent 3, 2.5 hour dives in a Hyperbaric Chamber. We are all feeling very well and expected to make a full recovery."

The Upshot

Monique ended her social media post with this urgent plea: "Please ensure you have a Carbon Monoxide detector and that it works. We are so thankful Celia woke us. We often wished she would sleep through the night but we do not feel that way any more. Our sweet sweet baby saved us all."

Kyle told Canada's National Post: "Our house is 26 years old and we didn't have any carbon monoxide detectors. I think it was one of those things that never crossed our minds."

Since their ordeal, the furnace in their home, which was the source of the potentially deadly gas, has been replaced. The Ruppels also installed carbon monoxide detectors. Their story is a very important reminder how a simple home repair or upgrade can literally save your family's lives.

On a sidenote, since I was wondering and you may be as well, their four cats and two dogs survived as well!

More from News Break

Restaurant Staff Helps Parents Deliver Baby before the Main Course

Woman Who Cheated Death after 50-Foot Fall becomes a Mom

Undefeated Wrestler Gives Opponent with Down Syndrome a Win

And, don't forget to like us on Facebook and Twitter!

comments