Use spice drops and decorating sugar to create this beautiful Baby Blanket Cake.
- 1 (9 by 13-inch) cake
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) vanilla frosting
- 20 white spice drops
- 1/2 cup each pink, yellow, violet, and light blue decorating sugars
- Red, neon blue, neon purple and yellow food coloring (McCormick)
- 20 yellow Skittles or M&M’s
- A bread knife
- 6 freezer weight zip lock bags
- A ruler
- Rolling pin
- Assorted flower shape cookie cutters
- Clean small paintbrush
Trimming the cake:
- Place the cake on a clean work surface. Trim the top of the cake with a bread knife to make level.
- Transfer the cake to a serving platter, trimmed side down (This gives you a flat surface without so many crumbs.)
Frosting the cake:
- Spoon 1/2 cup frosting into 4 bowls. Tint each bowl a different desired color with the food coloring. Spoon each color plus 1 cup vanilla frosting into separate zip lock bags. Press out the excess air and seal the bags.
- Spread the remaining vanilla frosting on the top and sides of cake and make smooth.
- Use a ruler to mark the cake into thirds lengthwise and quarters to make 12 squares.
- Snip a small corner from the bag with the vanilla frosting and pipe lines over the ruler marks. Pipe decorative dots along the 2 short sides of cake to look like fringe.
To complete the cake:
- Press 2 spice drops together and flatten slightly.
- Sprinkle the work surface with some colored sugar. Roll out a flattened spice drop in the sugar, adding more to prevent sticking to a 1/8-inch thickness.
- Use a template or cookie cutter and cut out flower shapes. Repeat with the remaining spice drops, scraps and colored sugars to make 12 assorted flower sizes.
- Pipe a few white lines with the vanilla frosting on top of the spice drop flowers.
- Working with one color frosting at a time, microwave frosting in bag, massaging every few seconds, until melted and the texture of slightly whipped cream, about 10 seconds.
- Snip a small corner from the bag. Pipe or flood one square with just enough frosting to fill in the area. (Frosting will be thin and come out quickly. Pinch the end of the bag when finished.) Fill several squares with the frosting. Use a small paintbrush to push the frosting into the corners. Repeat with the remaining tinted frostings, including the vanilla frosting.
- Add the spice drop flowers to the center of each square. Add a yellow Skittle to each corner.