Use these Baby Bottle and Bear Cookies in the Diaper Bag baby shower cake.
- 1 roll (16.5 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Red food coloring
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate frosting
- 5 small red heart shaped candies
- Rolling pin
- 1 freezer weight zip lock bag
- Bear cookie cutter
To make the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Divide the dough in half.
- For the bottles: Knead one part of the dough with 1/3 cup of the flour until smooth.
- Remove 1 quarter of the dough and add 4 drops of the red food coloring. Knead until color is well blended and dough is pink.
- Roll the white dough into a scant 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut out as many 4-1/2 by 2-1/2-inch rectangles. Transfer the rectangles to the prepared cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Reroll scraps and cut out more rectangles.
- Roll out the pink dough to a scant 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out as many bottle tops as possible. Reroll scraps if necessary to make more tops.
- Transfer the pink tops to a short side of the rectangles, overlapping slightly.
- For the bears: Knead the remaining half of the dough with the 2 tablespoons of flour and cocoa powder. Knead until smooth. Roll out the chocolate dough on a lightly floured surface to a scant 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out as many bear shapes as possible using a cookie cutter. Transfer the shapes to the prepared cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake until the cookies are golden around the edges, about 10 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
To finish the cookies:
- Spoon the chocolate frosting into a zip lock bag. Press out the excess air and seal the bag.
- Snip a very small corner from the bag with the chocolate frosting. Pipe lines, crosswise on the bottle cookies to look like measurements. Pipe claws, eyes and a mouth on the bear cookies. Add the red heart candy for the nose.
Makes about 12 cookies