Use 8" cakes and colored candies to make this chic Diaper Bag Cake.
- 2 (8-inch) round cakes
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- 1 cup vanilla frosting
- Red food coloring
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 8 white spice drops
- 1/4 cup mini brown candy coated chocolates (M&M minis)
- 1/3 cup pink licorice pastels
- 4 pink Jelly Belly Crème Mints*
- 1 rope red licorice laces (Peel n Pull)
- Bottle and Bear cookies
*Find Jelly Belly Crème Mints at the Jelly Belly Official Website.
- 1 freezer weight zip lock bag
Trimming the cakes:
- Place the cakes on a clean work surface. Using a bread knife, trim the tops to make level.
- Spread a small amount of chocolate frosting on one cut surface. Place another cake layer on top, trimmed side down and sandwich the cakes together.
- Cut a 1-inch strip from one side of the cake layer. Cut a 2-inch deep semi-circle from the opposite edge.
- Tint 3/4 cup of the vanilla frosting pink with the red food coloring. Spoon the frosting into a zip lock bag. Set aside.
- Place the cake on a serving platter, semi circle side up.
To make the tissue:
- Sprinkle the work surface with some of the sugar. Press the spice drops together. Roll them out on the sugared surface, adding more sugar to prevent sticking, and roll out to a thin circle. Cut the circle into a square to make the tissue. Set aside.
Frosting the cake:
- Spread the remaining vanilla frosting on the top cut edge of cake and make smooth. Frost the sides of the cake with the chocolate frosting and make smooth.
- Press the pink licorice pastels, lengthwise, along each side of cake.
- Press the pink mints on either side of upper corners of cake.
- Snip a small corner from the bag with the pink frosting. Pipe a decorative edge all around the top of cake.
- Pipe dots of pink frosting all over sides of cake. Press the brown candies in center of each dot.
To complete the cake:
- Press each end of the licorice rope into each top side of the cake to make the strap.
- Fold the spice drop square and press into the top, allowing it to hang over the edge of cake, to look like a tissue.
- Add the cookie bottles and bear.