Use marshmallows and skittles to create this bright Flower Bouquet cake.
- 1 (9-inch) round cake
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Green food coloring
- 1 cup chocolate frosting
- 1/4 cup each; pink, blue, yellow and purple decorating sugars
- 12 large marshmallows
- 5 Tootsie Rolls
- 12 Skittles
- 2 pieces green sour belt fruit chews
- Clean scissors
- A bread knife
- 3 freezer weight zip lock bags
Trimming the cake:
- Place the cake on a work surface. Use a bread knife to cut an angled 1-1/2 inch piece from each side of cake, using the template as a reference. Discard scraps. Place trimmed cake onto a serving platter.
Frosting the cake:
- Spoon 1/4 cup of the chocolate frosting into a zip lock bag. Spoon 3 tablespoons vanilla frosting into a zip lock bag. Tint 1/2 cup of the vanilla frosting green with the food coloring and spoon into a zip lock bag. Press the excess air from the bags and seal.
- Spread the remaining chocolate frosting over the small end of the trimmed cake, about 3 inches from the bottom edge and make smooth.
- Spread the remaining vanilla frosting over the remaining exposed cake and make smooth.
To complete the decoration:
- Place the colored sugars into separate small bowls. Cut the marshmallows crosswise into 5 thin slices. Dip the cut sides of the thin marshmallow slices in the colored sugars to have 5 of the same color per flower. Repeat with the remaining marshmallows and sugars. Shake off the excess sugar and set aside.
- Cut the green sour belts into 1-1/2 inch ovals with the scissors. Set aside.
- Unwrap the Tootsie Rolls and microwave for no more than 3 seconds to soften. Press together and roll out to an 8-inch strip. Use a sharp knife or scissors to make sides straight to an 8 by 1 inch strip.
- Arrange the Toosie Roll stripe along the top edge of the chocolate frosting to create the lip of the pot. Trim any excess. Pipe a decorative line of the chocolate frosting at the top of the Tootsie Roll.
- Snip a small corner from all the bags of frosting. Pipe vertical lines of green frosting over the vanilla frosted area of cake to make the flower stems. Arrange 5 like colored sugared marshmallow slices together as the flowers, pressing slightly to secure in the frosting. Pipe a dot of vanilla frosting in the center of each flower and add a Skittle as the center. Add the green candy leaves all over.