Use fruit chews and an ice cream cone to create a storybook-worthy Humpty Dumpy cake.
- 1 (9 by 13-inch) cake
- 1 can (16 ounces) plus 1 cup vanilla frosting
- Yellow and orange food coloring
- 1 marshmallow
- 2 Junior Mints
- 2 packages red Fruit by the Foot
- 1 sugar cone
- 2 plain bread sticks
- 1/2 cup light blue decorating sugar
- 14 blue fruit chews (Jolly Rancher)
- 2 each red and pink fruit chews (Jolly Rancher)
- 10 red mini M&M’s
- 1 tube (4.25 ounces) chocolate decorating frosting
- A serrated knife
- Rolling pin
- 1 freezer weight zip lock bag
Trimming the cake:
- Place the cake on a clean work surface. Use a serrated knife to cut out the egg shape, using the template as a reference.
- Cut the bread sticks in half.
- Transfer the cake to a serving platter.
Frosting the cake:
- Tint 1/4 cup each of the vanilla frosting yellow and blue with the food coloring. Spoon the yellow frosting into a zip lock bag. Tint 2/3 cup of the vanilla frosting orange.
- Spread the lower third of the cake with the orange frosting and make smooth.
- Spread the remaining vanilla frosting on the top and sides of upper two-thirds of cake and make smooth.
To complete the cake:
- Unwrap the fruit chews. Microwave 4 of the blue fruit chews at a time for no more than 3 seconds to soften. Press 2 together and roll out to a 4 by 1-inch rectangle. Use a ruler to cut out 4 by 3/4-inch strips. Transfer strips to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Repeat with the remaining fruit chews and scraps to make 7 strips.
- Microwave the remaining fruit chews. Shape the pink fruit chews into a 2-inch oval. Roll the red fruit chews into a 6-inch long rope.
- Cut the marshmallow in half crosswise.
- Wrap 2 of the cut bread sticks with 2 pieces of the blue fruit chews to almost cover. Press bread sticks on either side of the cake above the orange frosting.
- Arrange the 5 remaining strips of blue fruit chews, vertically, on the orange frosting. Trim the ends of fruit chews if necessary.
- Place a piece of red fruit by the foot across the edge of the orange frosting as a belt. Use more of the fruit leather to make a bow. Attach in the center of the belt with a red M&M in the center.
- Wrap the remaining red fruit leather around the other 2 bread stick pieces. Pres one end of each bread stick into the top side of a circus peanut for the legs and feet. Use some vanilla frosting to secure of necessary. Press the other end of the bread sticks into the base of the cake.
- Spread the blue frosting on top all over the ice cream cone and make smooth. Sprinkle with the blue sugar. Press the cone at the top of the cake, adding more frosting if necessary to secure.
- Snip a small corner from the bag with the yellow frosting. Pipe dots all over the cone and attach the M&M’s. Pipe a yellow line of frosting along the outer edge of cake.
- Add the cut marshmallow, cut side down for the eyes. Pipe a dot of yellow frosting and attach the Junior Mints as the pupils. Add the pink oval for the nose and the red rope for the mouth. Pipe eyebrows with the chocolate decorating frosting.