Use Fruit by the Foot and a doughnut to make this sweet Pacifier cake.
- 1 (9-inch) round cake
- 1 cake baked in a 1 quart Pyrex ovenproof bowl
- 1 plain doughnut
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Yellow and red food coloring
- 2 rolls Fruit by the Foot
- 4 strands red licorice laces
- A bread knife
- Offset spatula or butter knife
Trimming the cakes:
- Trim the tops of the layer and bowl cakes to make level. Reserve scraps.
- Place the layer cake on a clean work surface. Use the bread knife to cut the cake in half into a 4-inch semi circle and a 5-inch semi circle.
- Sandwich the cut cake layers, lining up the cut sides, with some vanilla frosting. Arrange the cakes, cut side down, on a serving platter. Place the bowl cake, 1-1/2 inches away from lower cake layer as the nipple. Use the scraps to cut a small piece of cake to extend from the layer cakes to the bowl cake.
Frosting the cakes:
- Tint 3/4 cup of the vanilla frosting pale orange with the red and yellow food coloring. Tint the remaining vanilla frosting yellow with the food coloring.
- Spread the yellow frosting over the standing layer cake and make smooth. Spread the orange frosting over the bowl cake and scraps and make smooth. Use an offset spatula or butter knife to make long lengthwise strokes of the orange frosting.
To complete the cake:
- Wrap the fruit leather around the doughnut, overlapping slightly, to cover completely. Use a dot of water to secure.
- Press the covered doughnut in the center of the flat side of cake as the handle.
- Press 2 rows of red laces along the far edge of the yellow cake, trimming laces if necessary.