Use spice drops and jelly beans to create this gorgeous Rattle cake.
- 2 cakes baked in 1-quart Pyrex bowls
- 1 can (16 ounces) plus 1 cup vanilla frosting
- Neon green food coloring (McCormick)
- 1 plain bread stick
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup orange decorating sugar (Wilton)*
- 20 orange spice drops
- 1 plain doughnut
- 1/2 cup each yellow and orange jellybeans
- 1 large orange spice drop
- 8 yellow Jelly Belly Mint Cremes**
*Orange sugar can be purchased at craft stores or from Wilton’s website.
**Jelly Belly Mint Cremes can be purchased from Jelly Belly’s website.
- A serrated knife
- 2 freezer-weight zip lock bags
- A pastry brush
Trimming the cakes:
- Trim the tops side of both cakes to make level.
- Trim 1/2 inch from the curved bottom of one cake and place it wide side up on a serving platter. Spread the top with some of the vanilla frosting. Place the other cake on top, trimmed side down to make a ball. Place cake on a long serving platter.
Frosting the cake:
- Spoon 1 cup of the vanilla frosting into a zip lock bag.
- Tint the remaining vanilla frosting neon green with the food coloring. Spoon 1/3 cup of the neon green frosting into a zip lock bag. Press out the excess air and seal the bags.
- Spread the round cake with the neon green frosting and make smooth.
To complete the cake:
- Heat the corn syrup in the microwave until bubbly. Brush the bread stick with the hot corn syrup and sprinkle with the orange sugar to coat. Set aside.
- Sprinkle a work surface with some of the orange sugar. Press the orange spice drops together and roll out in the orange sugar, adding more to prevent sticking to make a 17 by 2 inch strip. Trim with scissors to make sides straight. Set aside.
- Press the sugared bead stick into one end of the frosted cake. Press the other end into the plain doughnut.
- Snip a small corner from the bags with vanilla and neon green frosting. Pipe rings of the neon green frosting on top of the doughnut. Add a row of yellow jellybeans on the outside edge of doughnut and a row of orange jellybeans on the inside edge.
- Arrange the strip of orange spice drops across the center of the cake, pressing lightly to secure. Press the large orange spice drop at the top center of the cake.
- 6. Pipe lines of vanilla frosting and attach the rows of jellybeans and crème mints on top of the cake. Pipe a decorative edge on either side of the orange stripe and at the base of the bread stick.