Use Fruit by the Foot and jelly beans to make this cute Umbrella cake.
- 1 (9-inch) round cake
- 1 plain bread stick
- 1 roll red Fruit by the Foot
- 1 tube (.75 ounces each) decorating gels; blue, green, red, yellow and orange
- 1 large orange spice drop
- 1/2 cup light blue jelly beans
- A bread knife
- 3-inch round cookie cutter or glass
- 1 freezer-weight zip lock bag
- 1 small clean paintbrush
Trimming the cake:
- Place the cake on a clean work surface. Using the bread knife cut the cake to make the top level. Cut the cake in half crosswise to make 2 semi-circles.
- Spread some vanilla frosting on top of one cut side of cake. Place the other piece, cut side down and sandwich cakes together.
- Use a cookie cutter or glass to cut 3 scallop pieces, 1 inch deep, along cut side of cake. Transfer the cake to a serving platter.
Frosting the cake:
- Spoon 1/2 cup of the vanilla frosting into a zip lock bag.
- Spread the remaining vanilla frosting over the top and sides of cake and make smooth.
- Snip a small corner from the bag with the vanilla frosting and pipe and outline along edge of cake. Pipe 5 more lines of vanilla frosting to make even sections on top of cake.
To complete the cake:
- Wrap the fruit leather around the bread stick, overlapping slightly, to cover completely. Press the breadstick into the base of the cake to look like the handle.
- Press the large spice top at the top of the cake, adding more frosting if necessary.
- Use the colored gels and fill in each section on top of the cake with a different color to create the stripes. Use the small paintbrush to help spread the gels evenly.
- Arrange the blue jellybeans on the serving platter to look like raindrops.