2019 Guide to the Best Baby Registries
by Bethany Braun-Silva
Registering for you and your new baby is one of the most fun parts of being pregnant. We’d take a little shopping over morning sickness any day! But we also know just how overwhelming it can be. Where do you start? What should you register for? Luckily, there are tons of sites and retailers that can help guide you on your way to purchasing important items for your baby. From big-ticket must-haves to the right brand of diapers, these stores will have everything you and your baby will need. Plus, because many of them offer fun incentives like goody bags and discounts, you can focus of the joy of creating a nursery rather than getting bogged down by all the product choices. Your baby will need a lot of stuff, and creating a registry is a great way to get what you need from the people you love and who love you! And moms, don’t forget to register for a little something for yourself, too!
Each registry we feature has been independently selected and reviewed by our editorial team. If you signup using the links included, we may earn commission.Check out our top registries:
- Best Overall: Walmart
- Best Splurge Registry: Pottery Barn
- Best Universal Registry: BabyList
- Best Department Store Registry: Burlington
- Best For Building Your Nursery: Ikea
- Best Eco-Friendly Registry: Baby Earth
- Best Artisan Registry: The Little Market
- Best Unconventional Registry: The Gift of Education
Best Overall Registries
Walmart is already your one-stop shop for all your essentials, so it makes sense that it will be your go-to place for all things baby. From big-ticket items like car seats and strollers to everyday essentials like wipes and diapers, Walmart has got families covered. Walmart’s registry also provides parents a personalized list of items based on their needs. You can edit or replace the items on your list with ease, which is why Walmart’s registry tops our list. With brands like Graco, JuJuBe and Medela, as well as Walmart-exclusive brands like Hello Bello, parents will find comfort in knowing that everything they need for their baby is in one place.
- All registrants get a welcome box of products that can be used for baby or by parents. These samples will help you make informed decisions about what works and what doesn’t for your growing family.
- Families can access their registry any time via the Walmart app. You can make changes, additions on the go and up to the last minute.
- If you receive an item and it turns out to not be what you wanted, simply return it in person to a store near you. No questions asked.
Amazon has one of the largest selection of products around, and their prices are generally lower than many other retailers. If you are an Amazon Prime Member, or even if you become one when you create your registry, you’ll be eligible for at 15 percent completion discount. But don’t fret, if you’re not a Prime member, you’ll still get a 10 percent discount. Plus, upon registering you will be eligible for several different offers including a Welcome Box, free parenting ebook, discounts from partners and more! Most items can be returned up to 90 days after delivery for a full refund.
- You can create or manage your registry from anywhere and on any device when you sign up at Amazon.
- Amazon registrants can use the Amazon Assistant feature to help them locate items that are at other retailers and then add them to their registry.
- Amazon also has a group-gifting feature that allows multiple people to contribute to more expensive items like cribs or strollers.
At Target you can create a baby registry in-store or online, which is a great option for people who want to actually see the items before they register or purchase them. Everyone who creates a baby registry at Target gets a Welcome Kit worth $50 that’s filled with sample items and coupons that will help them save money and try out new products. Target also offers a 15 percent discount for everyone on most of their products once moms are eight weeks away from their due dates.
- Target provides users with the Target Gift Tracking feature, which allows you to not only track what you have received and what you haven’t but also who you’ve thanked and who you haven’t, keeping all your important gift information in one place.
- You have a year to return new and unopened items from your baby registry, meaning you have plenty of time to decide if you want to use the products you registered for.
- Parents can personalize their registry page online. Pick your very own URL name and even upload a few photos for a unique touch. Sharing your parenting journey with the people you love is one of the best parts of the process.
You will get a free goody bag filled with samples and coupons upon creating your registry at a buybuy BABY store. You will also receive a 15 percent completion discount on registry items that were not purchased. buybuy BABY also offers families free shipping for a year if $1,500 worth of products were purchased via your registry. They also provide handy tools such as an Interactive Checklist, which helps you keep track of the items you need and want, and you can easily see what you're missing. buybuy BABY also has a Registry Analyzer that checks that you've got low- and high-priced items to accommodate everyone who will be shopping for your new bundle of joy.
- One of the cool things about this registry is that you can enlist friends and family to help you pick products. The “Ask a Friend” and “Copy a Friend” registry tools allow you to get products and advice from people who’ve been there.
- The Decorist service is a great resource to provide you with an interior design help for your nursery. It’s easy and affordable and you play a flat fee.
- buybuy BABY provides you with “in-store test driving” where you can test strollers on different terrains, have a registry consultant expert show you how to insert a car seat the right way, check out furniture in person and try on a carrier for practice!
Best Splurge Registries
You will not only be privy to the wide selection of gorgeous items from Pottery Barn Kids and Pottery Barn’s baby lines, but those who create a baby registry at Pottery Barn can also add items from West Elm and William Sonoma, which are all under the same family company. Parents can add nursery items such as rockers as well as baby essentials such as toys. Many of the items can be personalized with baby’s name for a sweet touch. They also have a handy app called The One Registry Collective where you can keep track of your items as well as add or edit them.
- Pottery Barn Design Studio is a free service that provides experts to help you design your nursery free of charge. You can visit the store in person, get help online or call in by phone.
- If you need a little help once you received the gifts, Pottery Bars has a “thank you note organizer” that helps you keep track of everyone you’ve sent notes to and those who still need one.
- Pottery Barn offers a 20 percent discount on any item that was on your registry that you end up purchasing yourself, up to six months after your due date!
The Tot was created by seasoned mothers who have found and recommended the best products through trial and error. They created a registry option on their site to help parents pick the best products for their new baby—no matter if they live in a big city or suburban town. And because you are likely new to this whole “stuff for baby” thing, The Tot has created several Starter Registries to help get you on your way. Parents can choose to make their registries public and searchable via The Tot website or have them remain private and only viewable by sharing the link. The Tot carries a number of high-end and mid-range products for babies and is dedicated to helping parents make the best decisions.
- Whatever your parenting style, and even if you don’t know what it will be yet, The Tot has created carefully curated starter registries based on a range on needs. From gender neutral nurseries to cribs and highchairs perfect for small spaces, they’ve got you covered.
- Check out what products celebs and influencers are buying with sample registries by actress Tia Mowry and even The Tot’s founder.
- The Tot Concierge is available for parents for in-store or over-the-phone consultations and will help you make informed decisions about all the latest products.
Best Universal Registries
The BabyList registry gives parents the option of registering for any item from any store. Yes, any store! Shop big brands from well-known stores as well as indie brands from shops like Etsy. Upon registering, families will receive the Hello Baby box which is full of tried-and-true products for parents and baby. Parents will also receive free insert cards to be placed in baby shower invitations. If you’ve started a registry somewhere else, BabyList can easily link your existing registry to theirs. Plus, they have Happiness Heroes on call to answer all your questions about products and building your registry.
- Add items from anywhere! Items from any online retailer can be added to your registry. Whether you’re shopping for diapers, lactation cookies, strollers or clothes from specific brands, this list acts as a catch-all for all your must-have registry items.
- You can also register for help and favors from your family and friends such as dog walking, babysitting or house cleaning. You can even ask for cash for baby’s college fund or to help offset costs from maternity leave.
- Managing your registry is easy via the BabyList App. Simply add, edit or keep track of purchased items with this app, which is compatible with your phone or tablet.
This universal registry is perfect for parents who want a lot of different items from a lot of different shops. You can even sync previous registries that were created elsewhere into one registry for a streamlined shopping experience. Families can also register for cash gifts that can be used for whatever additional expenses come up. And believe us, they will! Parents will also get access to tons of different perks from MyRegistry retail partners, including completion discounts and giveaways. Plus, you can customize your URL and eCards, which you can send to family and friends.
- The “Add to MyRegistry” button, which can be downloaded to your bookmark bar, makes it easy to add any item from any retailer straight to your registry.
- Browse other member’s registries for inspiration for what to add to yours. The products are constantly updated, so you can always check back for more ideas.
- Once you download the MyRegistry app, barcodes can be scanned via your phone, then added directly to your registry. You can even do this for stores that don’t have websites!
You can create a universal registry with Blueprint and pick items from many different retailers that will all be listed in one registry. Parents can even import registries they have already created. You also have the option to register by room, ensuring that you’ve got everything you need from the nursery to the kitchen. Group gifting is available, and users will receive a 10 percent completion discount up to one year after their baby’s due date. If you need a little help, the concierge team is available via chat, email or phone to answer any questions.
- Blueprint has dozens of gorgeous website templates that parents can use to create a truly unique registry.
- Parents can add registry items directly from the Blueprint site. Simply click the item's category, and you will be presented with a ton of items from different retailers all in one place.
- Blueprint provides parents with handy guides as well as real product reviews and sample registries to help them get started building their own.
Parents can create a truly personalized registry at My Desires. They can upload a picture to their registry homepage and even write a message for friends and family who are purchasing gifts. Gifts can be added from any retailer, and parents also have the option of leaving instructions on how to be gifted cash. Registries can be edited at any time, and parents will be notified each time a gift is purchased.
- Registries can stay active on the site for as long as the parents wish to keep them there, making it easy to keep track of gifts.
- My Desires has several helpful videos that will help parents navigate their registry to make it work for them.
- In addition to linking registry items straight from retailer’s sites, parents can also upload an image of the item from their phone or computer to make sure that they receive the exact one they want.
Best For Building Your Nursery
Ikea is known for its affordable, modular furniture and is a top choice among people who value simplicity and don’t mind putting things together themselves. Ikea has made a name for itself over the years when it comes to great stuff for baby. They make durable cribs, toddler beds and high chairs, as well as essentials like towels, sheets and dishware. Now it can all be added via their Baby Registry. Parents must register with Ikea Family, which is free, and then they can start to add items. Registries are accessible online as well as in-store, and gift givers can purchase an item off the list or contribute funds to a more expensive one. Your Sundvik is just one click away!
- Sharing your registry is easy. When logged into your Ikea account, simply choose to text, email or send via social media to your family and friends.
- Get inspiration from the dozens of inspiration boards on the Ike website. From planning your baby’s nursery to help with baby-proofing, it’s all there.
- Rather than buy the actual item, friends and family can send the amount for a specific item on an Ikea gift card, so that they don’t have to carry something bulky to the shower.
#2Crate & Barrel
At Crate & Barrel, families can register for anything from gliders to bedding. Registry experts are available to help you plan your registry and give advice on certain items, plus, many of the items are exclusive to Crate & Barrel which will make your nursery feel more personal. Group gifting is available, and returns can be made in-store or online. Registries can be managed via the app, which allows parents to add, edit items or even scan barcodes straight to their phone while browsing in a Crate & Barrel store.
- Crate & Barrel registry users will get 15 percent off for three months after their due date on registry items. This can be used in-store or online.
- Get access to the Thank You Manager when you create a registry, which will help you keep track of the gifts you’ve received as well as whom you have and have not yet sent thank you notes to.
- Shipping is free on all registry items, no matter who is purchasing it. This is a great incentive for loved ones to start shopping for your baby!
Best Department Store Registry
The Burlington Baby Depot has everything furniture, toys, feeding supplies, car seats and clothes from top brands, all in one place. Many of the brands are heavily discounted so parents will be getting great products at affordable prices. They also provide those who sign up with help on building their registries as well as advice on specific products. Plus, the gear guides are an excellent resource for parents who need help deciding on which stroller, car seat or crib to buy.
- Upon creating a registry, families will be entered for a chance to win a $500 shopping spree.
- You can manage your app easily online or with the Burlington app. Whether you’re in-store or not, items can be added or edited in a snap.
- Those who register will also be able to receive Parents Magazine for a year for only $5.99. It’s full of useful information that every parent needs to help them with life with a new baby!
#2Bed Bath & Beyond
When planning your baby registry at Bed Bath & Beyond, you can make an appointment at one of their stores with an expert that can help you pick just the right products and answer any questions you may have. You can easily book online via their website. Bed Bath & Beyond also provides parents with announcement cards and a list of various “quick picks” if you’re not sure where to start. Quick Pick categories include, “Playtime Fun,” “Bathtime,” “First Wardrobe” and “Nursery Room Basics.” Plus, parents of multiples can register for up to three babies at once!
- Parents will receive a 15 percent completion discount for items from their registry that weren’t purchased.
- You will be gifted with a free goody bag when you start your registry filled with coupons, free samples and a handy registry guide.
- If the amount of items purchased from your registry exceeds $1,500, then you will receive free shipping for the first year after your child is born.
This trusted department store makes creating a registry fun and easy. Parents can set up an appointment to register in-store or set it up online. Parents have up to 30 days to make exchanges after receiving an item. Dillards also provides parents with an Online Management Center where they can keep track of the gifts that were purchased, received and those yet to be bought. It helps you manage those important thank-you notes. Dillard’s will also give gift givers an option to purchase gift cards for the parents.
- Parents can manage their registry online at Dillards.com and continue to update and add items up until their due date.
- A 20 percent completion discount is offered to anyone who creates a registry but must be used in store.
- Registries stay active until 18 months after the due date, allowing you fully to take advantage of your completion discount.
#4The Container Store
No matter how hard you try to get organized, life with a new baby can wreak havoc on your home. Luckily, The Container Store lets you register for organizational items that will help you stay on track during that first year. From storage solutions to drawer organizers, even toys The Container Store has great must-have products for everything baby and beyond. Plus, group gifting is available so people can contribute any amount to big-ticket items. The site is also filled with tons of inspirational ideas to get your home ready for your bundle of joy.
- The Container Store offers free shipping on any item more than $75 that’s listed on your registry.
- A 10 percent completion discount is offered on any remaining gifts not purchased from your registry.
- Easy returns and exchanges are available with a gift receipt. Parents will receive store credit to pick out something else they would like.
Best Eco-Friendly Registry
This store carries hundreds of eco-friendly products for parents and baby. You can also shop for big-ticket items like strollers, car seats and cribs. The company was started by a mom and dad who spent a lot of time searching for everything they needed for their kids only to be frustrated that they couldn’t do so all in one place. While it’s a smaller retailer than most, it does carry popular brands like SkipHop, UPPABaby and JuJuBe. Parents can register for any item on the site and set up their registry page with a picture and description of their journey to parenthood or baby shower.
- Registries can be shared to Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter or by email via a handy button on your registry homepage.
- Parents can easily add items by clicking “Shop For This Registry” on their registry’s main page.
- The shop often runs promotions and sales, and parents will earn Bonus Bucks with each purchase from their registry to be put toward a future purchase.
#2The Ultimate Green Store
For eco-conscious parents-to-be, this store has everything you need to create a green baby registry. The Ultimate Green Store carries a vast range of green-living basics as well as eco-luxury items for your baby and home. They offer an extensive selection of natural and organic baby bedding, clothes, bath & skincare products, BPA-free bottle gift sets, baby bath and air purification systems, toxic-free toys and so much more.
- Parents can add, edit and manage their registry online.
- There is free shipping on all orders over $75.
- The Ultimate Green Store is constantly updating and adding to their inventory, so you will be up to date on the latest and greatest green products for your baby.
#3The Natural Baby Company
The Natural Baby Company is a one-stop shop for all things organic and eco-friendly. From cloth diapers to carriers, feeding and wellness products, that have everything you need for baby, without all the extra harmful chemicals and additives. They carry dozens of brands including FridaBaby, Copper Pearl, Ryan and Rose and more.
- Registries are set up through MyRegistry.com but can be done directly through The Natural Baby Company’s website for convenience.
- They provide several handy guides on where to start when it comes to cloth diapering and more, which is very helpful when deciding which natural products to add to your registry.
- Parents will earn points via their rewards program and can save on future purchases. Points can even be earned for signing up and sharing on social media.
Hanna Andersson is known for its well-made, organic clothes for babies and kids. Parents can create a registry in-store or on the website. All of the products are made from 100 percent pure cotton and are built to last. You will also receive a 15 percent completion discount and have access to the Thank-You tracker via the website. They have curated lists of newborn essentials to help get you started, but of course, you can add or edit any product that’s listed.
- Upon registering, you will receive a keepsake box that you can store sentimental items such as baby’s first outfit, rattle or teether.
- Hanna Andersson’s return policy is very shopper friendly. If you are unhappy with your item, bring it or send it back at any time for a replacement or refund.
- If you need help with your registry, there are customer service specialist available to help you via chat, phone or in stores.
#5Encore Baby Registry
If you’re a frugal or eco-friendly mama, Encore Baby Registry allows you to register for second-hand items, as well as new ones. Friends and family can fulfill a gift request by either purchasing the item new or donating it from their closets. If they choose to donate a gift that was used, gift-givers have the option of uploading a photo of the item to ensure that it will be okay with the parents. Registries can be made public or private and new gifts added can be pulled directly from Amazon.
- Parents can save their guests money by providing them with the option to not have to purchase items that are brand new. Being able to donate items they already own or purchasing ones from a consignment shop is a great way to guarantee you’ll get everything on your list.
- They have an up to date list of product recalls and current safety guidelines that gift-givers can check out to make sure that all products are safe.
- In addition to receiving hand-me-downs, parents can also ask for items they can loan. Your registry has a feature that will help you keep track of which products are to keep and which you have to give back.
Best Artisan Registries
#1The Little Market
At The Little Market, parents can register for meaningful, artisan items for their baby such as handmade blankets and swaddles as well as unique nursery decor. With every purchase made, guests will have the comfort of knowing that their money is going straight to the artisans who made them helping to improve their quality of life by funding literacy workshops, business training, and health programs. The products can easily be found via The Little Market website and added directly to the registry you create.
- The products found on The Little Market are truly unique and special. If you are looking for something handcrafted, you will have many options to choose from.
- They have a number of gift sets for baby that will not only be useful and fun, but will also be special heirlooms to keep as your child grows.
- You can shop gifts by country, so if you would like to receive a gift that reflects you and your baby’s heritage that can easily be done through the category.
Parents can add items to their registry based on their nursery style or by using pre-populated lists created by Baby Bliss, based on gender. They also provide parents with a handy registry checklist to make sure that nothing slips through the cracks when building their registry. They carry everything from cribs, clothes, toys and gear and even have a ton of products that make great gifts for mom.
- Parents will receive a 15 percent completion discount on items not purchased from their registry after their due date.
- Parents who are expecting twins will receive a 10 percent discount on identical items.
- Registry experts are available to answer any question you might have about specific products and to help guide you as you build your registry.
Magic Beans has everything you need to create the perfect registry for your baby. They provide parents with Quick-Add registry lists that are pre-populated to get you started. Any gift can be exchanged or returned for store credit to give parents peace of mind. They also provide parents with a lifetime of product support. If you have any problems with products from Magic Beans they will do their best to remedy the situation including submitting warranty claims to manufacturers, so you don’t have to. You can add a number of products from dozens of retailers to create a universal baby registry.
- If you’re expecting multiples, you can take advantage of the multiples discount which is 10 percent off the second, third or fourth of any identical item.
- Any item over $49 will be shipped for free.
- Magic Beans offers parents one-on-one support. You can call, email or live chat their team of experts when you have a question.
Best Unconventional Registries
#1The Gift of Education
If you prefer to receive funds to put toward your child’s education and not gifts (we can’t say we blame you), The Gift Education is a site that allows parents to register for this very thing. By setting up a 529 plan, you can start saving for your child’s college fund immediately and share with family and friends for years to come. But parents can also register a savings or checking account for their child for money that can be put toward preschool, schools trips or the like. Gift givers can do everything online eliminating the need for writing a check.
- Accounts can be set up and remain active until your child is ready for college, meaning friends and family can continue to send monetary gifts long after your baby is born.
- The account is totally free to set up, and parents can track their child’s funds online.
- It’s safe, secure and incredibly convenient. No more shopping for the right gift that’ll only get used for a short time.
#2Deposit a Gift
Rather than receive gifts for your new baby, many parents find it more useful to receive funds that they can use whenever and however they wish. Be it for gear you shop for, a college fund or even medical expenses, Deposit a Gift makes it easy for families to receive money from those closest to them. Parents can set a goal then share their page to allow people to start giving money. It’s simple and easy and great for parents who might already have everything they need in the way of baby items.
- Parents keep everything that’s given. Even if your goal is not hit, funds will be directly deposited into the account you provided at sign up.
- All gift-giver data is captured, making it easy to follow up with a thank you note.
- You can personalize your page to reflect what you will use the money for. Let friends and family see where their money is going with a personalized picture and story.