25 Best Educational Toys for Kids
by Amy Hogan
Shop The Story
Toddlers are a whirlwind of nonstop activity, and they’re on a quest to learn everything they can about the world around them. The best way to keep them busy, stimulated and entertained is with toys of all shapes and sizes. But since research shows that learning through play is super important to their development, it’s a great idea to round out their toy collection with some educational toys. Things like puzzles and flash cards might come to mind, but there’s actually so much more available these days to help mold young minds.
Educational toys help children learn new skills such as problem solving, learning cause and effect, conflict resolution and sharing, all while working on their fine and gross motor skills. STEM and STEAM toys are all the rage in 2019 as parents, teachers and child development experts agree that instilling a love of science, math, technology and engineering at a young age is just as important as fostering a child’s creativity and imagination.
Best Educational Toys for 1-Year-Olds
- BettRoom Geometric Sorete
- V-Tech Sit-To-Stand Learning Walker
- Teytoy Baby Toy Zoo Series Soft Alphabet Cards
- Step2 Waterfall Discovery Wall
- Hape Pound And Tap Bench
Best Educational Toys For 2-Year-Olds
- LeapFrog Go-With-Me ABC Backpack
- Best Learning Mushroom Garden
- Wondertoys Wooden Shape Sorting Clock
- The Learning Journey: My First Match It Heads & Tails
- Jumbo Nuts And Bolts Set
Best Educational Toys For 3-Year-Olds
- Skillmatics Animal Kingdom
- Educational Insights GeoSafari Jr. My First Microscope
- VATOS Take Apart Car Construction Toy
- IQ Builder Smart Sand
- Educational Insights The Sneaky Snacky Squirrel Game
Best Educational Toys For 4-Year-Olds
- Learning Resources Puzzle Globe
- Disney Quiz It Pen
- Pidoko Kids 123 Learning Abacus
- Literacy Fun Game
- Educational Insights Geosafari Jr. Talking Microscope
Best Educational Toys For 5-Year-Olds and Up
- Simbans Junior Builder
- My First Mind Blowing Science Kit
- Wonder Workshop Dash Coding Robot
- Rush Hour Traffic Jam Logic Game
- Shifu Plugo- Count And Link Combo Kit
How to Choose the Best Educational Toys for Your Child
The youngest babies can benefit from sensory play toys that have different sounds and textures and are easy to hold. As baby grows into a toddler, they crave more hands-on items that can be manipulated and encourage movement. Preschool kids are ready for more hands-on educational toys that work with their cognitive skill building and memory, while elementary school-age children will benefit greatly from toys that involve counting, reading and spelling. But science kits and model building are also perfect for this age range.
Here are our top picks for the best educational toys for kids.
Each product we feature has been independently selected and reviewed by our editorial team. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn commission.